The Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA) for telecommunications conformity assessment is a government-to-government arrangement that aims to promote trade liberalisation whereby an importing country will recognize the conformity assessment results of telecommunications equipment carried out by a conformity assessment body in the exporting country.
The scope of the MRA covers all equipment subject to telecommunication regulations including wired and wireless, terrestrial and satellite equipment. For such equipment, the MRA deals with the electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), electrical safety and purely telecommunications aspects of the conformity assessment requirements.
The MRA is divided into two phases:
· Phase I - Mutual acceptance of test reports whereby a telecommunications equipment tested by a testing laboratory in an exporting country will be recognized by an importing country (avoiding retesting) and vice versa.
· Phase II - Mutual acceptance of certifications whereby a telecommunications equipment certified by a certification body in an exporting country will be recognized by an importing country (avoiding recertification) and vice versa.
Benefits of MRA
· The products can be tested and/or certified for a single time to the requirements of multiple markets.
· Eliminated requirements for duplicative testing and/or certification.
· Reduced the time taken and cost for a product to be placed on the market.
For Conformity Assessment Bodies (CABs):
· CABs are able to increase the value of their service as they are now able to offer conformity assessment services (testing, inspection and/or certification) for multiple markets.
· Fewer regulatory resources required to test and/or certify the products.
· Transparency of technical regulations, laws, policies and procedures.
· Establish good communications with Accreditation Body, CABs and manufacturers and ensure they are up-to-date on changes in technical regulations and policies.
· Access to wider variety of technology.
· Faster access to equipment at lower cost.
Procedures for Designation and Recognition of Testing Laboratories under the MRA